Queensway School is committed to promoting good attendance and believe that attendance is paramount if pupils are going to reach their full potential.
Our school is committed to:
- Promoting and modelling good attendance
- Following up on first day absence
- Rewarding good attendance
- Working with outside agencies to support pupils and their families
Attendance is monitored very closely in school to ensure that students do not fall into ‘persistent absenteeism’ (PA) as defined as Missing 10 per cent or more of schooling across the year for any reason. PA could trigger Educational welfare involvement.
Queensway are committed to working with parents and carers with attendance and ask that any medical appointments including dental are made out of school hours or during holidays. We understand that is isn’t always possible so where appointments are made during the day we ask that pupils attends school before and after the appointment. Please let the school know in advance and where appropriate provide medical evidence such as an appointment card. If this evidence is not provided the absence maybe marked as unauthorised.
In the event of an absence -
- Parents are required to contact the school as soon as possible on the first day of any absence.
- A phone call/text message/email will be made to the parent of any child whohas not reported their absence on the first day that they do not attend school.
- The school will always follow up any absences in order to:
- Ascertain the reason for the absence.
- Ensure that proper safeguarding action is being taken.
- Identify whether the absence is authorised or not.
- Identify the correct code to use to enter the data onto the School Census System.
In the case of persistent absence, arrangements will be made for parents to have a meeting with the Head Teacher or a member of the senior leadership team.
Leave during term time will only be authorised in exceptional circumstances and with the Head teacher’s agreement. Forms can be requested from the school office.
The LA will informed if a pupil is missing for a period of 10 of more days
If you would like any more information please don’t hesitate to contact the Head teacher.